Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Clearence Reduction NFPA 211

Clearence Reduction NFPA 211

New postby mtCDCcb on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:23 pm

We have a proposal to install a new EPA phase II qualified fireplace but the manufacturer requires a 24" clearance from the side of the fuel loading door to a sidewall. They are proposing 3.5" masonry wall with an 1" air gap in an attempt to reduce the clearance requirement. My understanding is that NFPA 12.6.2 would allow this clearance requirement to be reduced to not less than 12". Would you concur is there more to it that I am missing? Thanks.
mtCDCcb

Re: Clearence Reduction NFPA 211

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:39 pm

After reviewing NFPA 211 and 12.6.2, I would say that you are correct.

FIGURE 12.6.2.1(e) Wall Protection Using Materials in Table 12.6.2.1. shows that Material (b) and Materials (c) through (h) could be used to get to the 12" minimum clearance - however, looking back at Table 12.6.2.1 shows that Material (b) requires a minimum clearance of 18" ... which seems to be a conflict within NFPA 211, at least as I am reading it.

Thus using Materials (c) through (h) would solve that conflict as those materials meet a more restrictive requirement, and whenever there is a conflict, the most restrictive takes precedence.

Material:

(c) 0.024-in. (0.61-mm), 24-gauge sheet metal over 1-in. (25.4-mm) glass fiber or mineral wool batts reinforced with wire, or equivalent, on rear face with ventilated air space

(d) 31⁄2 in. (90 mm) thick masonry wall with ventilated air space

(e) 0.024-in. (0.61-mm), 24-gauge sheet metal with ventilated air space

(f) 1⁄2 in. (13 mm) thick noncombustible insulation board with ventilated air space

(g) 0.024-in. (0.61-mm), 24-gauge sheet metal with ventilated air space over 0.024-in. (0.61-mm), 24-gauge sheet metal with ventilated air space

(h) 1-in. (25.4-mm) glass fiber or mineral wool batts sandwiched between two sheets 0.024-in. (0.61-mm), 24-gauge sheet metal with ventilated air space
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Fireplaces and Chimneys: masonry fireplaces, factory built fireplaces, wood burning fireplaces, gas fireplaces, solid fuel burning stoves & inserts, combustion air, chimneys