Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Shared chimney

Shared chimney

New postby ceinspect on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:11 am

Caught this one today. There are live wires run up through the chimney to access the attic. The chimney is still in use, but only by the 40 gallon gas water heater. I could not see where the flue for the water heater was connected to a b-vent pipe inside the chimney, so I am assuming both are enjoying the same space. Would you call it out for a chimney expert or an electrician? Unless someone has a better idea the electrician will get my vote.

Terry Scroggin
Central IL
www.cei-i.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you haven't got time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to fix it?
ceinspect

Re: Shared chimney

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi Terry,

Call for an electrician (licensed and competent electrical contractor) to re-route the NM cables outside the chimney which is shared with hot combustion gases from the water heater (making sure that is the case).

If you are not sure, but suspect that to be the case, then call out for the electrician to verify the NM cables are not run in the same space as the hot combustion gases from the water heater and to re-route the circuit wiring if found to be in that same space.

You could also add that a chimney is not a dry location, and NM cables are only allowed in dry locations, thus, whether or not the water heater is vented to a Type B gas vent within the chimney space, the NM cables should not be there anyway.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby ceinspect on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:10 pm

Mr. Peck,
This was how I worded it in the report: "Corrective Action - The visible and readily accessible attic access portion of the chimney was in good condition at the time of this inspection, however there are electrical wires coming out of the side of the chimney. This is an active chimney where wiring should not share the same space as exhaust from a water heater. We recommend the wiring be rerouted outside of the chimney by a qualified electrician with remedy as necessary." Terry
If you haven't got time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to fix it?
ceinspect

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:48 pm

You should at least have included something about NM cables are not allowed in the chimney, whether the chimney is in use or not, as the chimney is exposed to the outdoors and NM cable is not allowed to be exposed to the outdoors, NM cable is for dry location use only and outdoors is not a dry location use.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Fireplaces and Chimneys: masonry fireplaces, factory built fireplaces, wood burning fireplaces, gas fireplaces, solid fuel burning stoves & inserts, combustion air, chimneys