[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 472: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2975)
AskCodeMan.com - Ask Codeman Building Code Q & A AskCodeMan • View Question/Answer - Combustion Air Question - Conroe TX

Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Combustion Air Question - Conroe TX

Combustion Air Question - Conroe TX

New postby Cowboy81 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 pm

Quick Scernio - We have 8 furnaces in an equipment closet that are on one solid horseshoe platform. I need to know if according to code my combustion air has to be within 12" from the hard floor, or 12" within 12" of the platform. I know that in a normal closet (reach in type with nothing but the furnace in it) the answer would be within 12" of the platform, because there is no hard floor, but my GC is saying that I have to bring it down to the floor. I have already passed all my local inspections, but have to have a state inspection because of the building type (retirement center). Any insite would be much appreciated because I don't have my code books with me (if possible send where in what code book your answer is based on.)
Cowboy81

Re: Combustion Air Question - Conroe TX

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:09 pm

Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Nolan Kienitz on Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:36 pm

Just for the sake of additional information I would ask your GC for the precise basis of his comment to you. I'm not saying he is wrong, but rather so you can both be on the same song-sheet about what is being discussed.

Based upon what I've read the combustion air vent would have to be at the hard-floor level. As Jerry noted in a typical closet there is air coming into the space below the deck the units are sitting on as the space below the deck is often a return air plenum chamber.

If you have passed all local code inspections from City of Conroe and you have yet to pass a state inspection ... I would endeavor to find out precisely what they will be inspecting for (in advance) so that you and the GC can be sure everyone is on the same page.

I am also an ICC-certified code inspector and agree with Jerry and your GC that the vent needs to be at ground level.

Again ... communication is key. Get with your GC to learn where he is coming from. Is it experience or has a code inspector mentioned something? I'm surprised that your GC is saying this needs to occur, yet you indicated you have passed all local code inspections.

Did someone miss something or is the state inspection different?
Nolan E. Kienitz - ICC R5 Residential Combination Inspector, TREC #7095
Nolan's Inspections, LLC
http://www.NolansInspections.com
Nolan Kienitz

New postby Cowboy81 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Hey gentlemen, Thanks for your input in this matter. We found a way to get our combustion air all the way to the floor - Not exactly how we wanted to do it, but it will work..

Brandon
Cowboy81

Return to Fuel Gas: Gas appliances (except Fireplaces, see Fireplaces), gas furnaces, fuel oil appliances, combustion air