Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Placement of gas spa heater

Placement of gas spa heater

New postby RobertP on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:38 am

Hello,

I'm moving the equipment for my spa to a new location because it's current location will impede the installation of a new window. I plan to move the equipment around the corner of the house but need to find out how far it should be from the future window opening. The new location is against a solid wall where no windows are planned to be installed.

If the new window is going to be placed 4' from the corner, will moving the spa heater 6' around the corner be enough space?

Thank you,
-Robert
RobertP

Re: Placement of gas spa heater

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:40 pm

Robert,

I sent a message to my expert in this field but have not heard back yet - I will send him another message with your question.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Hearthman on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:43 am

JP, sorry for the delay but I've been swamped.

This is an interesting situation because the codes don't really address combustion appliances outside of buildings for the most part. I checked the 2009 IRC and found M140104 Exterior Installations simply calls for appliances to be listed and labeled for outdoor installation. The unit must have good support and level foundation.
G2441.1 requires the unit to be listed to ANSI Z21.56. M2006 is for Pool Heaters (does not mention 'spas') and calls for installation per mfrs instructions (pmi), and that the clearances must not interfere with combustion air, draft hoods, or flue termination relief and it must have 'access'. G2427.2.2. simply states appliances with 'integral vents' should be installed pmi and per sectiion 2427.7, which deals with vent termination clearances for mechanical exhaust venting.

Drawing from my experience as a mfrs. technical rep., I would recommend they sketch the installation as a floor plan and vertical elevation showing all windows and intakes with their corresponding measurements and ask the mfr. to issue a written recommendation on placement. This can then be taken to the Building Dept. where most any AHJ would be happy to sign off on it. I also recommend they review their carbon monoxide alarms and install them on each floor, outside sleeping rooms or replace any more than about 5 yrs old. I recommend unlisted low level CO monitors, such as the CO Experts or NSI 3000 over ANY CO alarm listed to UL 2034 or UL2075 due to lack of low level protection and reliability issues.

JP, let me know if you hear back from this poster as this is a good example of a gap in the codes.
Warmest regards,

Hearthman
Keep the fire in the fireplace.
Hearthman

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Hearthman wrote:I recommend unlisted low level CO monitors, such as the CO Experts or NSI 3000 over ANY CO alarm listed to UL 2034 or UL2075 due to lack of low level protection and reliability issues.

Thanks Hearthman,

The only additional recommendation I would make would be that the unlisted low level alarms be installed *in addition to* the listed alarms as the alarms really should be listed alarms - thus the unlisted alarms would be adding additional protection to that protection which is provided by the listed alarms.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Hearthman on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:36 pm

Yes, well in many jurisdictions now, you are being required to have the listed alarms. This will become retro-active as soon as a bill pending inthe Senate passes.
Keep the fire in the fireplace.
Hearthman

Return to Fuel Gas: Gas appliances (except Fireplaces, see Fireplaces), gas furnaces, fuel oil appliances, combustion air