Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Capping a gas supply line

Capping a gas supply line

New postby RPelszynski on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 pm

What code applies to placing a cap on a natural gas supply line when (corrugated flex line for a kitchen range) the appliance is temporarily disconnected. The gas supply consists of rigid pipe to a shut-off, then rigid pipe from the shut-off through a wall to the flex line with no cap. Thank You! New Jersey!
RPelszynski

Re: Capping a gas supply line

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:33 pm

First, I am presuming that the flex line as you referred to it is actually a flexible gas connector, in which case they are not allowed to be re-used (at least not by the main manufacturer of the flexible gas connectors - Note: place cursor over link, right click, then select 'Open in New Window' or similar option: http://www.dormont.com/dmc/res/GasConnectors.aspx ). Once disconnected from the appliance the flexible connector needs to be removed and replaced (spec sheet http://www.dormont.com/dmc/uploadedFile ... ectors.pdf , bottom of page 4), and if not replaced right away, then simply removed to allow for capping the gas line.

New Jersey has adopted the ICC codes, which includes the IRC. New Jersey has adopted amendments to the ICC codes, however, this section in the IRC has not been amended in the New Jersey IRC.

From the 2006 IRC and IRC New Jersey. (underlining and bold are mine)
- G2415.12 (404.12) Outlet closures. Gas outlets that do not connect to appliances shall be capped gas tight.
- - Exception: Listed and labeled flush-mounted-type quick-disconnect devices and listed and labeled gas convenience outlets shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

I am also contacting another very qualified person to see if he has additional comments for this.

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Hearthman on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:34 am

I agree w/ Codeman's points. I would add that capping the line is the same as running new gas line so it needs to be pressure tested for leaks.
The reason you discard old flex lines is the flare seat deforms to fit the male adapter to the pipe and appliance valve making them unique matched sets. Since they are inexpensive, it is cheap insurance to just replace them. Besides, without an appliance in front of it, a flexible appliance connector is unguarded and susceptible to damage.
HTH,
Hearthman
Keep the fire in the fireplace.
Hearthman

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:04 am

Bob,

Thank you for the additional information regarding pressure testing when abandoning a gas line and capping it, even temporarily.

Also for the explanation as to why the reuse of gas connector is not allowed.

I had not tied those into the same thought process as flares for copper tubing, which also should not be reused, for the same reason you gave for gas connectors - that once a flare joint is tightened together, the flare is compressed to mate and match to the seat it is tightened to, once removed, the flare material (copper or stainless steel) cannot be re-compressed further to create a new matching surface to the flare fitting head.

Thank you for the additional information.

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Fuel Gas: Gas appliances (except Fireplaces, see Fireplaces), gas furnaces, fuel oil appliances, combustion air