Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Protection of CSST

Protection of CSST

New postby aaronm on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:14 am

Codeman:

What, if anything, does the 1991 or 1997 UPC have to say concerning the protection of CSST gas piping from punctures?

Thanks,

Aaron
"What the plainspoken man lacks in subtlety he makes up in clarity." - A.D. Miller

www.texasinspector.com
aaronm

Re: Protection of CSST

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi Aaron,

While I do not have copies of the 1991 or the 1997 UPC, I do have copies of the 1991 and the 1997 SGC.

The 1991 SGC does not include a reference to CSST, however, being as CSST stands for 'Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing', its protection should be similar to other tubing, such as copper tubing, which is addressed.

The 1997 SGC does address CSST in 306.2 in this manner "Corrugated stainless steel tubing systems shall be tested, listed, and installed in accordance with ANSI/AGA LC-1.", that is the only specific reference to CSST I found.

Both require protection of piping, tubing, in partitions as follows:

From the 1991 SGC. (bold and underlining are mine)
- 1005.3 Piping in Partitions
- - When copper tubing is installed in a hollow partition in a new piping installation, a metallic sleeve, or equivalent means, shall be used to protect the tubing where it passes through a wood plate or other structural member of the wall. The sleeve, if used, shall extend at least 4 inches on either side of the structural member in the partition. Iron pipe may be used for the sleeve. Tubing in the partition shall have some slack. Concealed tubing joints are prohibited. (Jerry's Note: With CSST, and with installing it per manufacturers installation instructions, that specific tubing is not prohibited from having joints in concealed locations.)

From the 1997 SGC. (bold and underlining are mine - note that "tubing" now includes CSST)
- 308.6 Piping in partitions and walls. Concealed piping may be located in hollow partitions and hollow walls, but shall not be located in solid partitions and solid walls, unless installed in a chase or casing. Tubing in hollow partitions and walls shall be installed in compliance with the provisions of 902.4 and 1005.3.

- 902.4 Tubing in Partitions (the wording is the same in this section and in section 1005.3 below)
- 1005.3 Tubing in Partitions
- - This provision shall not apply to tubing that pierces walls, floors, or partitions. Tubing is shall be permitted to be installed vertically and horizontally inside hollow walls or partitions without protection along its entire concealed length provided:
- - - 1. A steel striker barrier not less than 0.0508 inch (1.3 mm) thick, or equivalent, is installed between the tubing and the finished wall and extends at least 4 inches (102 mm) beyond the concealed penetrations of plates, fire stops, wall studs, etc., and
- - - 2. The tubing is installed in single runs and is not rigidly secured. (Jerry's Note: The new wording of "single runs" is to prohibit joints in tubing, as specifically stated in the 1991 code wording, however, with CSST, and with installing it per manufacturers installation instructions, that specific tubing is not prohibited from having joints in concealed locations.)

Hopefully this helps.

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Fuel Gas: Gas appliances (except Fireplaces, see Fireplaces), gas furnaces, fuel oil appliances, combustion air