Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Powder substance found in attic

Powder substance found in attic

New postby Barry Adair on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:07 am

Hi Codeman,

Took your advice, ignored the wizard and the yappy dog...made it here safely

Are you aware of a powder that was/is approved for insulation? House was built in 1920's and this may have been added later

Before the onslaught of attempts at humor, no the inspector did not attempt to taste, smell or collect mass quantities to supplement income during the "depressed economic times"

Not perlite consistency this is a powder like gyproc dust

Barry Adair

Re: Powder substance found in attic

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Barry,

When I looked at your photo, before reading your post, I thought "That stuff sure looks like gypsum dust (gyproc dust) or cement mix power like one buys in bags to mix with sand, aggregate and water.

I've never heard of any attic insulation made in dust form, that just seems to impractical to even consider doing as that would likely create too many dust related problems.

The only dust insulation I am aware of is used between (as an example) concentric cylinders where there is a large temperature difference between the inside of the cylinder and the outside air.

Did you run your hand through it to see if it felt like gyproc and did it stir up a dust cloud, or was it not susceptible to being stirred up into a cloud of dust?

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Barry Adair on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:50 pm

Jerry Peck - Codeman wrote:Hi Barry,

When I looked at your photo, before reading your post, I thought "That stuff sure looks like gypsum dust (gyproc dust) or cement mix power like one buys in bags to mix with sand, aggregate and water.

I've never heard of any attic insulation made in dust form, that just seems to impractical to even consider doing as that would likely create too many dust related problems.

The only dust insulation I am aware of is used between (as an example) concentric cylinders where there is a large temperature difference between the inside of the cylinder and the outside air.

Did you run your hand through it to see if it felt like gyproc and did it stir up a dust cloud, or was it not susceptible to being stirred up into a cloud of dust?

Codeman

Hey Jerry,

Yep, seemed impractical when I saw it also.

This was not my inspection just trying to find a possible answer or if anyone had run into similar to this before.

As best he could tell it was like gyproc in all characteristics and a small sample was taken to be analyzed.

I'll post the results once completed, if he gets back to me.
Barry Adair

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:48 pm

Barry Adair wrote:As best he could tell it was like gyproc in all characteristics and a small sample was taken to be analyzed.

I'll post the results once completed, if he gets back to me.

Hi Barry,

Yes, the only way to know what it might be, and if is noxious or not, is to have it analyzed. Glad he is having that done.

It would be great if he passes the analysis results on to you and you can post them here.

Thank you,

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Insulation and structural ventilation (crawlspaces and attics)