Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.


Custom Search

bathroom/kitchen insulation

bathroom/kitchen insulation

New postby stuartmcwh on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:43 am

Remodelled bathroom and kitchen. Drywall/baker board will be hung on exisiting 1x2 furring over concrete block. What would I use/what is required for insuklation in dry and wet areas. Also do I need vapor barrier between block and drywall. Home is in SE FL.

Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 am

Re: bathroom/kitchen insulation

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:35 pm

First, don't use "drywall" (gypsum) type backer board in wet areas (such as around tubs with shower, shower, behind sinks, etc), use cementitious board there.

What most people use over furring strips on block walls is that foil insulation, and it basically goes everywhere on furring over block walls.

Typically, that foil insulation also serves as a vapor retarder.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
User avatar
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin
Posts: 1199
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Return to Insulation and structural ventilation (crawlspaces and attics)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest