Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Stucco over asbestos fiber cement shingles

Stucco over asbestos fiber cement shingles

New postby bigdog on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:34 am

Jerry,

Can you think of any code compliant method to install stucco over asbestos fiber cement shingle siding??

David McCabe
bigdog

Re: Stucco over asbestos fiber cement shingles

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:06 pm

David,

Yes and no.

Yes - the asbestos cement shingles are over framing, possibly over plywood or board sheathing, but likely not, so the WRB ( the the drainage plane), followed by a bond breaker (a wrap of building paper, etc), then the metal lath (suitable for use only attached to the framing as there is no structural support behind the metal lath) which is attached to framing with long enough nails to go through everything to get to and into the framing, and finally the 3-coat stucco.

No - because the asbestos cement shingles will likely break during the installation of the WRB, and more break at each step, changing the asbestos cement shingles from not friable into friable material ... and that friable asbestos would need to be properly encapsulated or removed (removed, likely too late to encapsulate).

So, without more information, I think the correct choice above is "No."

How old is the house and what other work is being done to it? That would certainly require a permit.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby bigdog on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 pm

The home is from the 1940's. I can't imagine being able to engineer this as the shingles likely brake as fasteners are installed. I imagine it has diagonal board siding as I wouldn't know how the shingles could be installed over open framing.
Of course the work was done with-out a permit but I can't imagine any AHJ giving the ok for this.

David McCabe
bigdog

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:41 am

I was thinking that the asbestos cement shingles may be installed on strip furring, like is common behind,wood shakes/shingles.

An AHJ would likely ask for an engineer sign off on it ... and there are engineers who, for a small fee, will risk their license and sign off on crap stuff - some make their living doing that type of work.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Exterior Clading: brick veneer; stucco; siding - vinyl, wood, cementitious (such as HardiePlank), hardboard (such as Masonite siding); EIFS