Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Deck over AC unit

Deck over AC unit

New postby chris mc on Sat May 22, 2010 1:50 pm

What, if any, clearance is required for a deck over an AC unit. I realize that it is a bad idea but I can't find a code that disallows it.
chris mc

Re: Deck over AC unit

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat May 22, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi Chris,

That is addressed in the manufacturer's installation instructions, and the code states they shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions, so, by reference, that is also code.

Most manufacturers state 60" minimum above, some state 48" minimum, and I recall one stating an even higher distance. If you do not have the installation instructions, which, by the way, are required by code to be left on-site, then I would use the 60" minimum as a typical minimum height clearance, with a greater height clearance possible if so required in the manufacturer's installation instructions.

You may also find condenser units installed in alcoves, with tight side clearances, and the overhead clearance meeting the required height, but the manufacturer probably never considered anyone would lack that much common sense and would actually install condenser units under those conditions - but I have seen them installed that way.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Mechanical: Heating and cooling equipment, duct work, ventilation and exhaust fans