Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

HVAC

HVAC

New postby TAVON on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:50 pm

WHERE CAN I BUY A GOOD BOOK ON RESIDENTIAL INSPECTION CODES FOR SPLIT SYSTEMS INSTALLATIONS, ALSO DO U KNOW ANY SHORTCUTS TO DOING A MANUAL J OR L
TAVON

Re: HVAC

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:35 pm

First to answer the question regarding residential codes on split system installations: The codes are general in nature and are minimum in nature. The codes are applicable to all systems of all types.

- There are codes relating to the installation of duct work, depending in part on the type of duct work installed and your location.

- Your best information for specific questions on specific split systems will be the manufacturers' installation instructions. During code inspections those installation instructions are required to be left on the equipment and present at the time of the inspection. Codes reference general requirements and include, by reference, the manufacturer's installation instructions by stating that the equipment shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions and the code.

- After reviewing the applicable code and several installation instructions you will begin to establish a rule-of-thumb basis for things to look at and for.

- Without knowing anything more than the general information given in your question, there is nothing specific I can provide to you.

For your second question regarding shortcuts for doing Manual J or L calculations/computations:

- I do not know any short cuts, and if there were short cuts, those short cuts would likely only work on like buildings with the same or similar installations for which the short cuts were designed.

I wish I could offer more specific information, but cannot based on general information and without knowing your location (at least with your location I might be able to guide you to some applicable codes).

Hopefully the above helps in some way in directing you toward the information you are seeking.

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Mechanical: Heating and cooling equipment, duct work, ventilation and exhaust fans