Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Air valve

Air valve

New postby PierreA on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:18 pm

I'm designing an active solar house. In winter, the heat collector on the roof will produce hot air, which will be blown into the floor. In summer, the air blown into the floor will come from a vent in the north eave. When not needed, the hot air will be blown into a drying closet, or if that's already hot enough, outside. This needs some valves, at least one of which must be electrically controllable (the other can be flipped twice a year, but I'd prefer it be electrically controllable too). Do such valves exist?
PierreA

Re: Air valve

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:04 pm

I'm not sure about air valves such as you are speaking of - I did a quick Google search and did not find anything referring to air valves like that, although I am sure some other air valves could be adapted to that use.

That said, though, I believe your solar system would be more efficient collecting solar heat gain in water with anti-freeze and the transport/movement of the heat via moving water would be more efficient. I also believe you will find more information and system design, along with parts and equipment, on transferring the heat around with water.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby PierreA on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 pm

I found a possible candidate on Price HVAC, though I don't understand their jargon well enough to tell.

The air, when heating, will be recirculated, so it should work as well as a conventional system that blows air through coils. The temperature will be steadier because of the thermal mass.

I think I'm going to blow cold air at the walls, rather than through the floor. That way I'd be walking on a warm floor even while cooling the house.
PierreA

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:34 pm

When it's hot out, walking on a nice cool floor makes you feel cooler.

Of course, much of the heat gain is through the wall, which is why most air conditioning systems blow the air toward the walls - cool the air coming in off the walls and the inside feels cooler, basically, if you keep the walls at a given temperature, then the temperature of the space within those walls feels more even.

When cooling, air flow helps you feel cooler; when heating, the air flow also makes you feel cooler (think of it as very slight wind-chill, same basic principle).
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Mechanical: Heating and cooling equipment, duct work, ventilation and exhaust fans