Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Ventilation for a outdoor grille

Ventilation for a outdoor grille

New postby jmmcgr02 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:14 pm

Is there a code the applies to the venting of a outdoor grill under a roof?
jmmcgr02

Re: Ventilation for a outdoor grille

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm

You mean like they install under a covered rear porch?

Ventilation for the gas or charcoal grill, no.

Possibly for the open flame burner in the grill, the propane gas tank, and clearance from combustible material ... yes ... check the installation instructions for the grill, and there are requirements regarding location of the propane tank.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby jmmcgr02 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:30 pm

The grill is connected to the house gas line via cast iron pipe. No combustible material within 8' of the grille. I have a exhaust hood installed, but the building inspector is telling me it needs to completely cover the grill, which I am fine on width, but it would need to be 29" deep (commercial hood $4k+). He has yet to be able to provide me with any documentation on the code he is trying to enforce. GE grill, which they cite the clearance form combustible material, but nothing on a required exhaust.
jmmcgr02

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:41 am

jmmcgr02 wrote:He has yet to be able to provide me with any documentation on the code he is trying to enforce. GE grill, which they cite the clearance form combustible material, but nothing on a required exhaust.

Tell the inspector (nicely) that you are trying to comply with his request, but that you only want to have to do it once .... and that to make sure you meet what is required ... you need to know what the code section is and what is says - so you can read the code section and do what it says.

If the inspector does not provide the code section, go to the building department and meet with the building official, explaining that the inspector says blah-blah-blah, that you have asked the inspector for the code section so you can read it and meet what it requires, but the inspector has not provided the code section ... then ask the building official for a copy of the code section so you can comply with what it requires.

Some states require inspectors to provide code sections for any rejection, other states let inspectors 'require whatever they want' .. until challenged for a code section.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Mechanical: Heating and cooling equipment, duct work, ventilation and exhaust fans