Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

CPVC pipe in the attic!

CPVC pipe in the attic!

New postby RICHARD TAN on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 am

Codeman,

Do you need to insulate CPVC pipe in the attic or crawlspace? Even when we don't get many freezing temperature in Central Florida.
RICHARD TAN

Re: CPVC pipe in the attic!

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:20 am

Hi Richard,

No, CPVC, PVC (for DWV), PEX (not even metal piping) is not required to be insulated in your area.

Note the "not required to be". The code is a minimum standard, and the code addresses a winter design degree temperature line above which ALL piping outside the thermal envelope is required to be protected from freezing, either by heat or by insulation, and below which that requirement does not apply.

Note, though, that "below which that requirement does not apply" does not mean protection from freezing is *not needed*, that protection may be *needed*, just not *required*.

From the 2004 Florida Building Code, 2006 Revisions, FRC:
- (For plumbing systems.)
- - P3001.2 Protection from freezing.
- - - Where the design temperature is less than 32°F (0°C), a water, soil or waste pipe shall not be installed outside of a building, in attics or crawl spaces, or be concealed in outside walls in any location subjected to freezing temperatures, unless adequate provision is made to protect them from freezing by insulation or heat or both. Water service pipe shall be installed not less than 12 inches (305 mm) deep or less than 6 inches (152 mm) below the frost line.

- (For solar systems.)
- - 1402.5.3 Protection from freezing.
- - - System components shall be protected from damage by freezing of heat transfer liquids at the lowest ambient temperatures that will be encountered during the operation of the system.
- - M2301.2.5 Protection from freezing.
- - - System components shall be protected from damage resulting from freezing of heat-transfer liquids at the winter design temperature provided in Table R301.2(1). Freeze protection shall be provided by heating, insulation, thermal mass and heat transfer fluids with freeze points lower than the winter design temperature, heat tape or other approved methods, or combinations thereof.
- - - - Exception: Where the winter design temperature is greater than 32°F (0°C).

The winter design degree temperature of 32°F (0°C) runs basically along I-10 from Jacksonville to Tallahassee to Pensacola across to Texas, then curves up to California. I call that the "Freeze Line" for simplicity.

Central Florida is well below the "Freeze Line", however, you do experience hard freezes there, so protection from freezing *should at least be considered*, and, in my opinion, provided for.

Here is an example why: I lived in Gainesville, Florida for 20 years, and while Gainesville is well below the Freeze Line, we suffered some very hard freezes there. In the winter of 1982-83 we had 43 hours continuous below freezing and in the winter of 1983-84 we had 44 hours continuous below freezing, which meant that as a contractor I was given the opportunity to do a lot of re-construction to apartments which were damaged from burst water pipes in the winter of 1982-83 and again in the winter of 1983-84. Some people just do not learn.

I understand that Central Florida is south of, and warmer than, Gainesville, still, though, providing protection from freezing "should" (not "shall") be done.

Codeman
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Plumbing: Water heaters, fixtures, traps, hose bibbs, water pressure, supply & DWV piping