Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Water heater locations

Water heater locations

New postby Marc M on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:09 am

Jerry,
IRC2005.2
Isnt the term "storage closet" somewhat subjective?
Would you consider the closet in my pic a storage closet?
I suppose if the water heater / furnace were not in there one could store things within. What say you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marc M

Re: Water heater locations

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi Marc,

From the angle of your photo, I would call that a "mechanical closet" as it is intended for the furnace and (I guess out of view) the water heater.

From the IRC. (bold and underlining are mine)
- M2005.2 Prohibited locations. Fuel-fired water heaters shall not be installed in a room used as a storage closet. Water heaters located in a bedroom or bathroom shall be installed in a sealed enclosure so that combustion air will not be taken from the living space. Installation of direct-vent water heaters within an enclosure is not required.

Which means that there is no storage allowed in the mechanical closet.

If that closet is also intended for storage, then the fuel fired appliances would need to be relocated ... however, it would be simpler to stop using the closet for storage than to relocate the appliances.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Marc M on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:15 am

Hello Jerry,
Yes the closet is used only for mechanical. Thanks for the reply.
Can I your opinion? My brother is a HVAC contractor, he uses metal foil tape on many installations and the local building authority says nothing. Do you know if code stipulates negatively (or otherwise) regarding this product/material?
Marc M

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi Marc,

There are approved uses for the UL approved metal foil tape, and that metal foil tape is also frequently used for unapproved used, such as in your photo where it looks like metal foil tape has been applied to a vent - which is not allowed.

What are some of the uses where he uses the metal foil tape?
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Marc M on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Well, he uses it on metal flue connections / installations. Jerry, is there a specific code section that will state this?
Marc M

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:04 am

Hi Marc,

This is one of those items where it is not what is excluded, but what is not included, in the sections of the code and the manufacturer's listing and labeling.

From the 2006 IRC.
- G2426.5 (502.5) Installation. Vent systems shall be sized, installed and terminated in accordance with the vent and appliance manufacturer’s installation instructions and Section G2427.

The vent manufacturer's installation instructions do not state to apply that foil tape.

The foil tape listing and labeling does not state it has been tested, listed, or labeled for use on vents. The foil tape is listed to UL 181A and UL 181B (and new versions, such as UL 181B-FX for flexible duct), UL 181 series of standards deal with air ducts ... not vents, and thus the tape is not listed for use on vents, only for use on air ducts.

http://eetd.lbl.gov/IE/pdf/LBNL-41434.pdf

http://www.shurtape.com/Portals/0/ULlistedSS.pdf

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebse ... 6E666666--

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes ... 0181B.html
- Closure Systems for Use With Flexible Air Ducts and Air Connectors
- - UL 181B
- - - 1 Scope
- - - - 1.1 These requirements cover pressure-sensitive tapes, mastic systems, and non-metallic mechanical fasteners for use as a part of the closure system of factory-made flexible air ducts or air connectors complying with the Standard for Factory-Made Air Ducts and Air Connectors, UL 181.

Note that all state they are for use on air ducts, and none state they are for use on vents.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Plumbing: Water heaters, fixtures, traps, hose bibbs, water pressure, supply & DWV piping