Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Under sink trap & drain configuration

Under sink trap & drain configuration

New postby Hank S on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Hello Code Man.

Is there anything wrong with this setup? Looks like a leak around the left slip joint and I'm not sure about the double-wye configuration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hank S

Re: Under sink trap & drain configuration

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi Hank,

First thing is that there should be a cleanout directly in through the center of the double wye fitting.

Second, it looks almost like CPVC cement used on PVC.

Yes, it looks like a leak at the left tailpiece extension at the slip joint to the trap, but it also looks like a leak at the right tailpiece extension at its slip joint to the trap too.

Where the left tailpiece extension is connected to the strainer basket at the sink - looks like a leak there, that could be dripping down to the slip joint at the bottom of the tailpiece extension ... that nut at the top of the tailpiece looks cross threaded (but not sure due to the limitations of the photo resolution - but it sure looks crooked to me).
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Under sink trap & drain configuration

New postby Hank S on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for the reply and keen eye despite the slightly out of focus shot. This home was constructed in stages in a rural area obviously without any building inspections department. It was challenging 5+ hour inspection today and I'm still working on the report. I really appreciate the help.

Hank
Hank S

Return to Plumbing: Water heaters, fixtures, traps, hose bibbs, water pressure, supply & DWV piping