Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Sump pump connection to DWV

Sump pump connection to DWV

New postby Hank S on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:37 pm

Hello Codeman,

The previous homeowner installed the sump pump for use with a utility sink in the basement. The 1 1/2" pipe enters the vertical DWV pipe above the cleanout, but not above the horizontal section below the ceiling. Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hank S

Re: Sump pump connection to DWV

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:40 am

Hi Hank,

If the sump were to have discharged into the horizontal run, the sump would have needed to have discharged into the horizontal run from above the horizontal run, however, the sump is discharging into the vertical stack the same as another branch drain would. The discharge from the sump needs to enter the DWV system from above as a gravity system would, the sump is just there to lift the waste to above the connection point, at that point, gravity then takes over and the waste enters the DWV system via gravity.

What I see wrong is that there is evidence of leakage from several fittings, and (I suspect) the PVC is not supported and secured at maximum intervals of 4 feet between supports and securing straps/clamps/etc.

I also see what looks to be pressure fittings used in the sump drainage piping - that elbow looks like a pressure elbow and not a sweep as would be in a DWV system.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Hank S on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:39 am

Hi Jerry,

The purple and amber is the primer & adhesive. I did not see leaks after repeated discharges. So, the connection entering the vertical stack and not the horizontal run is technically okay? The problem may be with support as well as the lack of a sweep vs. a pressure fitting, correct?
Hank S

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 am

Hi Hank,

Yes, the purple would be the primer.

However, the brownish/gold/yellowish/amber color was what I was referring to and why I thought there was evidence of leaking. If that color is the cement, I thought that was that color cement was for CPVC, not PVC - if I am correct in that thinking, then the wrong cement was used for those PVC joints.

Was CPVC present for the supply distribution piping? If so, they may have grabbed the wrong can, or maybe they ran out of the correct cement and used what they had for the piping for that sump discharge connection fittings. Does the sump discharge piping look like it was added, it looks newer in the photo but the photo is of a limited area and difficult to tell, also I only see that color at the sump discharge piping connections. Being as you were there, was that amber color cement used elsewhere, or just there?
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Plumbing: Water heaters, fixtures, traps, hose bibbs, water pressure, supply & DWV piping