Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

The following Codemen are available to answer your questions:
All Codes and Standards - Jerry Peck, Codeman

Q&A Board links

  • FAQ



  • View New Questions

  • View Unanswered Questions

  • View Active Questions/Answers

  • Mark Questions as read

  • View Your Questions

  • Go To Your User Control Panel

  • Links to:
  • Construction Litigation Consultants

  • Florida Building Commission

  • Florida Building Codes Online

  • International Code Council

  • ICC Codes Free Online

  • Building Officials and Administrators of Florida

  • Product Approvals
  • Florida Product Approval

  • ICC Evaluation Reports Search

  • Miami-Dade NOA Search

  • Inspector and Contractor License Search
  • Search Florida Licenses

  • Technical links
  • Technical Information page

  • Contact Codeman

  • Custom Search

    house trap

    house trap

    New postby garrett on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:31 pm

    What are their function and can an existing one that is now connected to city sewer be replaced in New Jersey?
    Thank You Garrett .
    Posts: 6
    Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:34 pm

    Re: house trap

    New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:46 pm

    I figured that rather than try to explain the functions of house traps I would direct you to some information on that; (hold cursor over link, right click, select 'Open in new window' or similar) ... traps.html

    Most state have recognized that house traps are no longer necessary, however, some states still require house traps, one is New York.

    From what I can find from the New Jersey codes I find online, and they are difficult to find and view (as some states make their code inaccessible to their citizens or just plain not easy for their citizens to use), the answer to whether you can replace them is a multiple answer depending on what you mean by "be replaced".

    Whether you mean are you allowed to replace a house trap with a new trap or whether you mean are you allowed to replace the house trap with a straight piece of pip - the answer lies with your local building department.

    What I have found for New Jersey regarding house traps is that it is up to the AHJ (your local building department) as different AHJ address house traps differently than other AHJ.

    Also, so you mean are "you" allowed to do the work or do you have to have a plumber do the work - In New Jersey that is also answered by the AHJ (your local building department).

    New Jersey is behind the times in codes and from what I have found online that could well be because the plumbing and pipefitters unions resist changes which would affect (negatively affect) their work. I have also heard that over the years about New Jersey from contractors who used to work in New Jersey.

    Unfortunately, the above does not provide the answer, but at least you now know where to get your answer.
    Jerry Peck - CodeMan

    Construction and Litigation Consultant
    Construction Litigation Consultants
    User avatar
    Jerry Peck - Codeman
    Site Admin
    Posts: 1140
    Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:06 pm

    Return to Plumbing: Water heaters, fixtures, traps, hose bibbs, water pressure, supply & DWV piping

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest