Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Height of drain pipe into wall

Height of drain pipe into wall

New postby bigdog on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:59 pm

I've looked around and can't find a specification for height off floor for residential drain pipes at sinks. Is there one?

David
bigdog

Re: Height of drain pipe into wall

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:31 pm

Trap, trap arm, fixture to trap?

Not really about a height above the floor, but this may (or maybe not) address what you are thinking:
- FBC-Residential (underlining is mine)
- - P3201.6 Number of fixtures per trap.
- - - Each plumbing fixture shall be separately trapped by a water seal trap. The vertical distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches (610 mm) and the horizontal distance shall not exceed 30 inches (762 mm) measured from the center line of the fixture outlet to the centerline of the inlet of the trap. The height of a clothes washer standpipe above a trap shall conform to Section P2706.2. Fixtures shall not be double trapped.
- - - - Exceptions:
- - - - - 1. Fixtures that have integral traps.
- - - - - 2. A single trap shall be permitted to serve two or three like fixtures limited to kitchen sinks, laundry tubs and lavatories. Such fixtures shall be adjacent to each other and located in the same room with a continuous waste arrangement. The trap shall be installed at the center fixture where three fixtures are installed. Common trapped fixture outlets shall be not more than 30 inches (762 mm) apart.
- - - - - 3. Connection of a laundry tray waste line into a standpipe for the automatic clothes-washer drain shall be permitted in accordance with Section P2706.2.1.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby bigdog on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:59 pm

Specifically what I'm asking is the height off of the floor for the stub out of the house DWV pipe that the trap arm would connect to under a sink. I couldn't find any reference to a "required height or range such as 15"-18".

Years ago they used to be higher than I see currently. I've done a few kitchens where the client wanted a disposal added and the stub out was too high to add a disposal with-out opening up the wall and lowering the drain line inside the wall. Lower is better unless your installing a vanity with a bottom drawer.

David
bigdog

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:26 pm

The contractor (builder) or architect would be responsible for specifying the height, or the contractor (plumber) puts it wherever they think it will work for them.

Common sense seldom comes into play.

Whatever is shown on the approved documents ... if shown... is what is required. The height is likely not shown.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Plumbing: Water heaters, fixtures, traps, hose bibbs, water pressure, supply & DWV piping