Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Code to determine occupancy under IBC

Code to determine occupancy under IBC

New postby wrloos on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Aloha,

I have been trying to understand if an R-3 classification under International Building Code (the State and City and County of Honolulu accept IBC classification), applies to a condominium, one that consists of 2 buildings and a total of 234 units here in Honolulu.

I appreciate any guidance, including directing this post to a more appropriate forum.

Mahalo (thank you),

Warren
Honolulu
wrloos

Re: Code to determine occupancy under IBC

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Hi Warren,

A condominium building is simply an "apartment house" in which the ownership is different. I.e., in an "apartment house" the building (the structure itself) is common owned and each "unit" ("apartment") is rented out to various tenants, whereas in a "condominium building" the building (the structure itself) is common owned and each "unit" ("condominium") is sold to various owners.

Thus, under the IBC, a condominium building is R-2:
- R-2 Residential occupancies containing sleeping units or more than two dwelling units where the occupants are primarily permanent in nature, including:
- - Apartment houses
- - Boarding houses (not transient)
- - Convents
- - Dormitories
- - Fraternities and sororities
- - Hotels (nontransient)
- - Monasteries
- - Motels (nontransient)
- - Vacation timeshare properties
- - Congregate living facilities with 16 or fewer occupants are permitted to comply with the construction requirements for Group R-3.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Structure: Footings, foundation walls, floor framing, wall framing, ceiling framing, roof framing (rafters & engineered trusses)