Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Hot tub electrical room storage

Hot tub electrical room storage

New postby mtCDCcb on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:27 pm

My condo complex is replacing our hottub. We are building a small (70sf) equipment shed to handle sand traps etc for the hottub. The shed is to be attached to the condo complex on one side. Does the shed need to have any fire separation. The bldg department is making us pull a permit for the new hottub deck and thought I would ask before I pull the permit. Thanks.
mtCDCcb

Re: Hot tub electrical room storage

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Yes, there would need to be fire separation - most likely anyhway, but it is quite possible that the exterior wall of the condo building is rated for what would be required.

Different occupancies require separation, with that separation based on the adjacent/adjoining occupancies.

That small shed would be an incidental use, and, at 70 square feet it may not require separation, depending on if the local AHJ classifies it as S or U occupancy and what they deem the contents to include.

The best case scenario, which may not apply when all is said and known, would be an S occupancy, at less than 100 square feet it may not require any separation. Keep in mind that if the shed is built against the side of a condo, that may likely be different than if the shed was built against the side of a common area wall, or an office area wall, etc.

Many variables which are unknown at this time will come into play for the final determination. If the shed can be located separate from the condo building, i.e., a self-contained structure, then the distance between the structures would come into play. It is quite likely that separating the structure from the condo structure may be the best way to go.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Hot tub electrical room storage

New postby mtCDCcb on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:55 pm

Thank you. THis is a great forum!
mtCDCcb

Return to Pools and Spas: Swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, child safety protection, entrapment protection