Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Stem wall exposure

Stem wall exposure

New postby mtCDCcb on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:36 pm

This duplex has exposed foundation covered by a foam board and black (frost?) cloth. It has an insulated stem wall waterproofed on the outside. It looks as if the site was not backfilled properly or that the tin skirting needed to be extended just below grade. Is this exposed foundation a code violation?
mtCDCcb

Re: Stem wall exposure

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm having difficulty visualizing what you are describing.

This "It has an insulated stem wall waterproofed on the outside." indicates to me that the stem wall is waterproofed on the outside of the stem wall and is insulated on the inside of the stem wall. Is that correct?

This "This duplex has exposed foundation covered by a foam board and black (frost?) cloth." is referring to the outside or the inside of the stem wall. If it is referring to the outside of the stem wall, then how is it waterproofed outside, and if it is referring to the inside of the stem wall, then how is it insulated?

Typically, the stem wall will be waterproofed from grade level down, or from just above grade level down, a you know it is waterproofed, that indicates the stem wall is waterproofed from just above grade (or higher) down on the outside of the stem wall.

What is indicating that the backfilling was done improperly?

When you say "tin skirting" are you referring to the skirting around a mobile (manufactured) home? Typically, if not a mobile (manufactured) home, the siding is not referred to skirting and is not extended down to grade so as to leave a termite inspection area around the stem wall. Exposed stem walls are typically required for this reason.

Mobile (manufactured) homes are set on piers and have a skirting which encloses the bottom area beneath the home, there would not be a stem wall in these cases.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby mtCDCcb on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 pm

I have photos. Can I upload them here? If so how?
mtCDCcb

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Yes, you can upload photos.

When you have the message window is open, click on the upload attachment tab below the message box.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby mtCDCcb on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:50 pm

I tired but receive a message that the board attachment quota has been reached.
mtCDCcb

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:56 pm

After selecting your photo, did you click 'add this file'? If so, you should have had three choices, 'Place inline', 'Delete file', and 'Submit'.

If you did not click 'Place inline' but did click 'Submit', the photo would be a link in your post, when you click 'Place inline' the photo is placed in your post at the point the cursor is at.

Maybe the file exceeded the maximum file size? Make sure the photos are smaller than 256k, if not, resize the photos or the photos will be rejected.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby mtCDCcb on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:44 am

homestead.JPG

Thanks for your help. I file size was too big. I compressed it and had it added.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtCDCcb

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:01 pm

Question: I see the foundation wall below the skirting and the metal skirting, what is behind the metal skirting? Wood frame, concrete block, concrete panels (precast or cast-in-place)?

If other than wood frame, why is there skirting over the foundation wall?
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Structure: Footings, foundation walls, floor framing, wall framing, ceiling framing, roof framing (rafters & engineered trusses)