Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

1/2" Greenboard in place of 1/2" sheetrock

1/2" Greenboard in place of 1/2" sheetrock

New postby mtCDCcb on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

I am remodeling my home and my drywallers ran out of standard 1/2" sheetrock. The used 1/2" green board in a couple places in place of the standard sheetrock. It was installed in non wet areas such as a stairway and a wall section in the living room. Is this allowed by the 2009 IRC? Everything I have read makes me think that it is as long as it is not in wet areas or where type x gypsum board is required.
mtCDCcb

Re: 1/2" Greenboard in place of 1/2" sheetrock

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:25 pm

As long as it was not used on the ceiling (there are different framing requirements for green board when installed on the ceiling) about the only difference you may see may be in the finished wall as the paint may show differently on the different paper of the green board.

Green board is not suitable for use where Type X is required, but I doubt there were any areas which required Type X in the stairway or the living room.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Drywall / gypsum board: non-fire resistance rated; Type X fire-resistance rated; plaster board (blue board); rock lath (for plastering); exterior gypsum sheathing