Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Impact Insulation Class (IIC) Florida Building Code

Impact Insulation Class (IIC) Florida Building Code

New postby FrankBui on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:21 pm

2001 Florida Building code Chapter 12 did not include a reference for Impact Insulation Class for floor/ceiling sound transmission. What Impact Insulation Class IIC rules would a condominium renovation in Miami Beach, FL have to adhere to during 2002, 2003 and 2004?

2004 Florida Building Code which is an adoption of International Building Codes became effective in 2005. 2004 Florida Building Code covered Impact Insulation of floor/ceiling assemblies:
Chapter 12 Interior Environment
Section 1207‚ (3)
Floor/ceiling assemblies between dwelling units or between a dwelling unit and a public or service area within the structure shall have an impact insulation class (IIC) rating of not less than 50 (45 if field tested) when tested in accordance with ASTM E 492.
FrankBui

Re: Impact Insulation Class (IIC) Florida Building Code

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:59 pm

You are correct in that sound transmission, air-borne sound and structure-borne sound, did not enter the code until the 2004 Florida Building Code, as such, the only requirement for sound transmission would be in the construction documents by the architects/engineers - that would best be found in the specifications book(s) for the project.

The ironic aspect of air-borne sound is that the sound transmission class (STC) construction is proprietary and was designed by each manufacturer of gypsum board, therefore, to meet the minimum stated STC rating of 50, the walls would need to be constructed in accordance with the sound transmission class designs from one specific manufacturer, and the gypsum board *from that specific manufacturer would need to be used throughout one entire story* unless there as a break against a shear wall, elevator shaft, or stair tower which went from one exterior wall to the interior corridor.

This is because the gypsum board on the other side of the wall also had to be the same manufacturer as was on the first side of the wall, otherwise the STC rating was invalid and would need to be field tested.

It was much simpler to use one manufacturer's gypsum board on each floor, changing brands from floor to floor is the supply was not adequate from one manufacturer for the entire high-rise.

The 2001 Florida Building Code allowed for the use of sound deadening board on floors, but did not require its use.

Now, to answer what I suspect your question is (correct me if I am wrong): If an existing condo building is being renovated, does it have to comply with the current codes which address sound transmission, or can it remain as it was originally constructed? That depends on the extent of the work being done, but it would take a lot of work to require bringing the entire building up to current code. All new work would first need to meet the Florida Building Code, Existing Building, and that would guide you to what extent the Florida Building Code, Building, Mechanical, Plumbing, National Electrical Code, etc., would apply.

The short answer, and which would probably be correct the vast majority of the time, would be that the existing building would not be required to meet the sound transmission requirements ... unless the condo board said it did (after all, the structure is one common structure and is owned by the condo association).
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby FrankBui on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:05 pm

Thank you very much for the answer. To clarify, I was referring to one unit of a condominium which had new hard surface floors are installed. I noticed the city was requiring permits and soundproofing for individual unit renovations before the 2004 Florida Code became effective. Maybe another code covers multifamily units or condominiums in addition to 2001 Florida Building Code?
FrankBui

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:58 pm

FrankBui wrote:I noticed the city was requiring permits and soundproofing for individual unit renovations before the 2004 Florida Code became effective.

The city should not have been, not unless the city had a local amendment to the technical codes, which was easier to do back then. Local amendments are not easy to get in the last few years, and local amendments will become even less likely in the future.

Many condos had their own condo association documents address that sound deadening insulation requirements.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby FrankBui on Tue May 13, 2014 8:47 am

Update: Thank you for your help. It appears Miami Beach Building Department was requiring permits for condominiums before 2013, but not requiring the applicant to submit any product information on the soundproofing underlayment. I audited dozens of permits and they were all missing product information from the files. I have no clue how the building department determined code compliance without knowing the baseline figure for the floor/ceiling assembly or the Delta IIC rating for an underlayment product that was not even submitted with a permit. It appears that these permits are so badly botched they have destroyed the value of thousands of condominiums. None of the condominiums I've worked with want to enforce their rules or can even updated their guidelines. Many of the concrete slab condominiums were only designed with carpet in mind, yet the condo boards signed off on floor changes to tile. Many buildings are still approving thin crack membrane underlyaments which are passing inspection.

Updated Miami Beach Flooring Affidavit Permit form:

Flooring Permit Affidavit
All commercial properties, including condominium units, are required to obtain a permit for flooring (tile, wood, marble).
To obtain a permit for flooring please provide the following documents to the permit counter.
1) Permit Application
2) Flooring Permit Affidavit
3) Copy of the soundproofing manufacturer’s literature with assembly value that complies with the Florida Building Code highlighted
4) Floor Plan indicating the area of work
5) Copy of Contract/Agreement between client and contractor No review will be required for flooring permits with the exception of terraces, porches, lobbies and other public spaces.

NOTE: A soundproofing inspection is mandatory in the City of Miami Beach

Attach: -Copy of soundproofing manufacturer’s literature with assembly value that complies with the Florida Building Code highlighted -Floor Plan indicating the area of work -Copy of Contract/Agreement between client and contractor
FrankBui

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue May 13, 2014 9:42 pm

FrankBui wrote:Update: Thank you for your help.

You are welcome.

Keep this in mind, though:
It appears that these permits are so badly botched they have destroyed the value of thousands of condominiums.

The above is not completely accurate ... however ... what you stated after that is the real cause of the "destroyed the value of thousands of condominiums":

(bold is mine)
None of the condominiums I've worked with want to enforce their rules or can even updated their guidelines. Many of the concrete slab condominiums were only designed with carpet in mind, yet the condo boards signed off on floor changes to tile. Many buildings are still approving thin crack membrane underlyaments which are passing inspection.

Don't blame the building department for the condo associations' in ability and/or unwillingness to enforce their own rules or make new rules - the condo associations (an association of the owners) bring it upon themselves ... the owners have no room to complain about it until they 'hitch their britches up and act like grownups' instead of crying over spilled milk ... milk which they spilled.

I've worked with condo associations before and they are quick to blame everyone else but were unwilling to bite the bullet and make the changes which will alter the future ... what's that old saying: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result." - something like that.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Interior Environment: Light, ventilation, ceiling height, etc.