Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

cellar stair questions

cellar stair questions

New postby nkelly on Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:56 pm

In a home (an old New England Farmhouse) we are planning to buy, I want to move the stairs that go to the cellar (non living space, mechanical only) to another area. According to current codes, there is absolutely no way to make the stairs legal because the bottom of the floor joists (ceiling in cellar) is only 6' from the cellar floor. Should I leave the existing stairs where they are or can I put in something steep like an attic ladder where I want the interior access to be? There is exterior access to the cellar through a 3-4' wide root cellar door that was used for harvest and coal deliveries back in the day.

We only have to follow Maine code and that is the same as the national code for stairs.
nkelly

Re: cellar stair questions

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:26 am

The following is from here: (bold is mine)
- MUBC (Maine Uniform Building Code) consists of:
- - 2009 International Residential Code (IRC)
- - 2009 International Building Code (IBC)
- - 2009 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
- - 62.1 - 2007 (Ventilation for Acceptable Indoor Air Quality)
- - 62.2 - 2007 (Ventilation and Acceptable Indoor Air Quality in Low-Rise Residential Buildings)
- - E-1465-2006, Standard Practice for Radon Control Options for the Design and Construction of New Low-Rise Residential Buildings

From the 2009 IRC:
- R305.1.1 Basements. Portions of basements that do not contain habitable space, hallways, bathrooms, toilet rooms and laundry rooms shall have a ceiling height of not less than 6 feet 8 inches (2032 mm).

From the 2009 IEBC
- SECTION 404 ALTERATION-LEVEL 2
- - 404.1 Scope. Level 2 alterations include the reconfiguration of space, the addition or elimination of any door or window, the reconfiguration or extension of any system, or the installation of any additional equipment.
- - 404.2 Application. Level 2 alterations shall comply with the provisions of Chapter 6 for Level 1 alterations as well as the provisions of Chapter 7.
- SECTION 405 ALTERATION-LEVEL 3
- - 405.1 Scope. Level 3 alterations apply where the work area exceeds 50 percent of the aggregate area of the building.
- - 405.2 Application. Level 3 alterations shall comply with the provisions of Chapters 6 and 7 for Level 1 and 2 alterations, respectively, as well as the provisions of Chapter 8.

Relocating the stair and door makes the alteration at least a Level 2 Alteration by itself, with the other work you are proposing, the alteration will be a Level 3 Alteration.

All new work will basically follow the 2009 IRC.

Based on the above, relocating the stairs to the basement will open a can of worms and I would wait until you address your plans with the architect. Raising the entire structure (the extent of you proposed work makes raising the entire structure a viable option) will solve that issue along with allowing for other options.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Stairways, Ramps, Handrails and Guards: Stairways, ramps, handrails, guardrails, landings, entry stoops/porches, recessed floor areas