Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

ARC-FLASH Labeling question

ARC-FLASH Labeling question

New postby JohnSTI on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:56 am

I have recently been given the responsible of "Safety Manager" within my facility...I'm now focusing on Panel Boxes...The current Panels I'm auditing have been around for almost 30 years...I can find no "Arc-Flash" labeling or "Fault Current" labeling...

I went to our "Utilities" providers Transformer that supplies power to our facility (just outside the building) it looks just as old as the panels within the facility. It's all gray with two labels (see attachments) one is a warning label stating "keep out hazardous voltage inside" the other is a warning label stating "Potential Arc Flash Hazard"

I could not find any labeling as to the Input/Output voltage or current. I believe I need these in order to perform an "Arc-Flash" assessment for the Main power panels within our facility.
1st question---Should this labeling (input/output V & I) be on the Utilities Transformer? or do I have to call and they have to supply this information?

2nd question--- the only panels required to have the "Arc-Flash" labeling are panels containing voltages of 220/240 and over?

3rd and last question---Where an "Arc-Flash" label is required is a "Fault Current" rating label required also...

t's easier to convince particular people that they have been in violation for years when I have more than just my opinion available.

Love this site and look forward to any responses

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnSTI

Re: ARC-FLASH Labeling question

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:13 pm

JohnSTI wrote:1st question---Should this labeling (input/output V & I) be on the Utilities Transformer? or do I have to call and they have to supply this information?

The label you are referring to is likely inside the transformer's locked cover. If you call the utility company, they may be able to provide that information from what they have on file for the transformer they installed. They may need to go and open the transformer's locked cover so you can take a photo of the label, but I suspect that they may have that information in a file for your installation.

2nd question--- the only panels required to have the "Arc-Flash" labeling are panels containing voltages of 220/240 and over?

From the 2014 NEC, 110.16 Arc-Flash Hazard Warning has this exception "in other than dwelling units", otherwise, if the equipment (see listed items) "are likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized" shall be be marked with the warning.

3rd and last question---Where an "Arc-Flash" label is required is a "Fault Current" rating label required also...

Yes ... but ... yes, "Fault-Current" labeling is required ... but it is not dependent on an Arc-Flash warning - 2014 NEC, 110.24 Available Fault-Current, contains the same exemption as the Arc-Flash warning in 110.16: Service equipment "in other than dwelling units".

It's easier to convince particular people that they have been in violation for years when I have more than just my opinion available.

Provide the NEC code section requirements to them - make a copy of the page each of those sections in on and use the NEC as your backup supporting documentation, then let them argue with NFPA and the AHJ which adopted the edition of the National Electrical Code which was adopted. If your AHJ is not using the 2014 NEC, use the edition which is applicable locally, if none is adopted locally, use the most current edition, which, at this time, is the 2014 NEC.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: ARC-FLASH Labeling question

New postby JohnSTI on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:07 pm

Great response thanks just what I needed...
JohnSTI

Return to Electrical: Service Equipment, electrical panels, wiring, lighting, switches, receptacles, etc.