Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Pool finish requirements

Pool finish requirements

New postby bigdog on Wed May 25, 2016 8:28 am

Hi Jerry,
Where is the specification for pool finishes to be smooth so as not to cause injury located. The building code doesn't seem to address it but also references ANSI and NPSI docs.

Also any idea when this specification was enacted? I looked at a pool yesterday (1970) where the finish looked like a sprayed on rough orange peel. Couldn't imagine that feeling good on the feet and must be a nightmare to keep clean.

David
bigdog

Re: Pool finish requirements

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed May 25, 2016 9:45 am

David,

bigdog wrote:I looked at a pool yesterday (1970) where the finish looked like a sprayed on rough orange peel. Couldn't imagine that feeling good on the feet and must be a nightmare to keep clean.

The key applicable time frame is not so much when the pool was built, but when the pool was refinished, which is typically every 10-15 years for marcite finished pools (at least the marcite is typically "in need" of refinishing, whether that is done or not depends on the owners and occupants).

I have not seen the finish you describe, but if it is like orange peel, then it likely is not rough (not flat, uneven, bumpy, yes, but not necessarily rough and abrasive). Sounds to me like it is likely not any more abrasive than an exposed aggregate pool finish.

The following is pulled from the 2001 Florida Building Code. The code addressing pool finishes has not changed much over the decades; however, pool finished have evolved over the decades with many more available choices than there were back in 1970.

(underlining is mine)
- "Slip Resistant" means having a textured surface which is not conducive to slipping under contact of bare feet unlike glazed tile or masonry terrazzo and non-textured plastic materials. Manufactured surface products shall be designated by the manufacturer as suitable for walking surfaces in wet areas.

- 424.1.2 Swimming Pool Construction Standards.
- - 424.1.2.1 Pool Structure. Pools shall be constructed of concrete or other impervious and structurally rigid material. All pools shall be watertight, free from structural cracks and shall have a nontoxic smooth and slip resistant finish. Tile used in less than 5 feet of water must be slip resistant except for bull-nose tile when utilized as step, bench or swimout markings.

- 424.2.6 Engineering Design.
- - 424.2.6.1 Conformance standard. Design, construction and workmanship shall be in conformity with ANSI/NSPI-4 1999, "Standard for Aboveground/Onground Residential Swimming Pools; and ANSI/NSPI-5 1995," Standard for Residential Swimming Pools; published by the National Spa and Pool Institute, or other accepted engineering practices.

The following is from ANSI/NSPI-5 1995," Standard for Residential Swimming Pools (the 1995 edition is the first ANSI approved edition of that standard, below is from my copy of it):
- 8.0 Material of Construction & Finishes
- - 8.1 Surfaces: The surfaces within the pool intended to provide footing for bathers shall be designed of slip-resisting materials. The roughness or irregularities of such surfaces shall not cause injury or be an abrasion hazard during normal use.
- - - 8.1.1 The interior surfaces of the pool shall be watertight.

Regardless of how old the pool is, and regardless of when - or even if - the pool was refinished, if the interior surface does not meet the requirements for safe use, the pool is 'not usable' and should be identified as such until it is made safe to use- if I have questions about a private residential pool being suitable and safe to use, I call for a licensed pool contractor to provide documentation (which means written, and on their letterhead) that the pool is safe and suitable for use. For a public pool, the health department controls them and they can shut a public pool down.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Pool finish requirements

New postby bigdog on Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 pm

Thanks Jerry

I've seen a few pools in my day and I have never seen anything like this one. It was very bumpy and rough...looks like the finish was sprayed on and never troweled......kinda like those fake rocks and mountains at Disney.

I report......Up to the client to do something about it.
bigdog

Return to Pools and Spas: Swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, child safety protection, entrapment protection