Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Cutting of window "flange"

Cutting of window "flange"

New postby bigdog on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:44 am

Hi Jerry

I just wanted your opinion on the cutting of window "flanges" when replacing windows. Back in the day when I was contracting here in Palm Beach County I would always remove the stucco on the bottom and grind away enough stucco on one side to be able to slip the the new window in place with new wider bucks. I removed the sill because few were done right originally and it was the most likely place to leak.

This was 10-12 yrs. ago and back then most other window companies and installers would cut the "flanges" to get the windows to fit in the opening. I guess if they couldn't do a house in one day they weren't making enough money. Most if not all building departments would allow this. I say they allowed it because I always had "in progress inspections" so unless you were really devious the inspector could have ascertained in some way that you were cutting the "flanges". We won't even go into the subject of leaving the original 1x2" buck and using the drywall to "fully support" the new window frame.

I have read quite a few NOA's and none of them mention being able to cut or modify in any way the window for any reason. What do you know about this practice?

David
bigdog

Re: Cutting of window "flange"

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:14 am

David,

You are correct - if a window is modified in any way (it is an engineered and tested product) it's approval (Product Approval or NOA) is no longer applicable to that altered window.

The manufacturer can address any approved alterations with an engineering letter.

I would bring that to the attention of the manufacturers, then bring the manufacturers' responses to the attention of the AHJ.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Windows & Doors: Safety glazing, leaks, single and multiple glazing