Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

Loose hip and ridge tiles

Loose hip and ridge tiles

New postby bigdog on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:43 pm

Is there a specification for hip and ridge tile movement?

Flat concrete tile roof, foam set and the top 1/4 of all of the hips the mortar was visibly separated /not just cracked.
When I pushed on this top area with my foot the top 1/4 of the row of hip tiles, which were fastened to the metal piece, it wiggled and moved as the metal piece under it moved / flexed.

I have never experienced this before and need help finding any reference that might address this. I don't know if re-pointing these tiles is all that's needed. Was the metal support installed improperly? The whitish color of the mortar suggest too much water when mixed.
Where can one access the FRSA manual online?
bigdog

Re: Loose hip and ridge tiles

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:58 pm

I read your question a couple of times to make sure I was reading and understanding it correctly (I hope I did).

bigdog wrote:Is there a specification for hip and ridge tile movement?

Not specifically that I know of (similar to that there is no specification on field tile movement that I know of either), however, hip and ridge tile are to be attached as required by the code and the manufacturer.

Flat concrete tile roof, foam set and the top 1/4 of all of the hips the mortar was visibly separated /not just cracked.
When I pushed on this top area with my foot the top 1/4 of the row of hip tiles, which were fastened to the metal piece, it wiggled and moved as the metal piece under it moved / flexed.

The "foam set" installation means that mortar is only there to point up openings, not for attaching the tile to the roof.

The only way to know if the metal under the hip and ridge tile was installed properly would be to remove the tile to view the attachment of the metal pieces - which should be left up to a roofing contractor as that roofing contractor would then be responsible for properly reattaching the hip and ridge tile.

... re-pointing these tiles ...

Repointing has no real effect on the attachment of the roof tiles as the tiles are foam set, not mortar set.

Was the metal support installed improperly?

Possibly, but a roofing contractor would need to address that, as I mentioned above.

The whitish color of the mortar suggest too much water when mixed.

Different mortar mixes have different colors when dry, so it is possible that is the intended color of the mortar?

Where can one access the FRSA manual online?

That I can help with: https://tileroofing.org/wp-content/uplo ... -24-14.pdf
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Re: Loose hip and ridge tiles

New postby bigdog on Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:37 am

Thanks for the link Jerry

The hip and ridge tiles were only attached to the metal which of course is attached to the roof. The only thing that would keep them from moving as the metal flexed would be the pointing which was strange as I have never seen this before.

The mortar was colored gray like the tiles and the white efflorescence was excess water in the mix which I believe contributed to it failing.

David
bigdog

Return to Roof coverings: Shingles, tile, slate, built-up roofs, single ply, modified, TPO-EPDM-PVC, metal, etc.