Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

GARAGE VEHICLE DOORS

GARAGE VEHICLE DOORS

New postby andybwell on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:35 am

Are you aware of any codes relating to the gap between a vehicle door and its frame when the door is closed? (Los Angeles).
andybwell

Re: GARAGE VEHICLE DOORS

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Hi Andy,

I have not heard of a code addressing something like that, however, such clearances may be addressed in the standards the doors are tested and listed to, and, if so, then the manufacturer's installation instructions would include that same information. At that same point, the doors would be required by the code to be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions.

The only reason I can think of for a standard, to which the doors would be tested, including a minimum and/or maximum clearance would be: a minimum clearance would prohibit rubbing and interfering with the operation of the door, causing the door to trigger the automatic reversing mechanism due to the increasing friction requiring increasing force, triggering the automatic reversing at a level which is normally set to reverse upon striking an object; a maximum clearance for wind loading, wind pressures, and rain penetrations in areas with those requirements.

What is the reason behind your question?

I will contact my California code expert, he would know more about the California codes and may know about anything specific in Los Angeles, or may know someone there who would have an answer.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Refer to post below from Jerry McCarthy, California Codeman

The information which was in this post is now posted there.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby andybwell on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I am trying to upload pictures of the vehicle doors (client is unhappy with gaps and installer has not been not responsive ---this is new construction). I was unable to determine the door manufacturer. There is a stamp on the back of the doors but I was unable to decipher it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andybwell

New postby Jerry McCarthy - California Codeman on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:35 pm

Andy

In California "Manufacturer's Installation Instructions" trump code. It is
always a good idea to do research on the internet and if you know the name
of the garage door manufacturer then I would try and pull up their web site
and see if they have posted their installation instructions. One could also
locate their service department phone number and speak to a live person and
ask your questions. Remember, a garage is not a “habitable space” like
certain rooms within a residential dwelling. However, many are converted to
such as a family grows in size.
Jerry McCarthy - California Codeman

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:11 am

Hi Andy,

andybwell wrote:I was unable to determine the door manufacturer. There is a stamp on the back of the doors but I was unable to decipher it.

Go here for that manufacturer:
- http://gdigaragedoors.com/
- Gates & Doors by GDI
- 1407 N Baxter St.
- Anaheim, CA 92806
- 714-556-0212 or 800-488-7748
- gdiohd@aol.com

Call or e-mail them for their installation instructions for your door.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:57 am

Hi Andy,

Here is another solution to your clients problem: garage door stop weatherstripping applied to the sides and across the top.

I did an Google search of "garage door stop weatherstripping" and these are some of the results showing what I have seen, and the end result is nice looking and keeps most of the weather out.
- http://www.northshorecommercialdoor.com ... owedo.html
- http://www.garage-doors-and-parts.com/g ... -seal.html
- http://ddmgaragedoors.com/parts/garage_ ... pping.html
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby andybwell on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:56 pm

Thank you for your replies.
andybwell

New postby inspectagator on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:02 pm

Hey Jerry, we did an inspection of a 2000 vintage home where the garage door bucks didn't have any fastener within the top 2' of the buck. We mentioned it as a minor concern and well when the realtor asked her contractor, turns out we're idiots because the municipality passed it. Now I'm looking for something in writing on the max distance from the top of the buck to a fastener.

Jon Bolton
inspectagator

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:42 pm

Jon,

The attachment of the bucks is in the engineering for the garage doors, and while different garage doors have different engineering, the greatest spacing of the normal and typical anchors (3/8" lag screws for wood framing and 3/8" expansion anchors for concrete or block ... I use "typical" as even that varies some, and some even allow for 1/4" Tapcons spaced more closely ... the maximum spacing of anchors that I've seen is 24" o.c., and the "typical" maximum spacing from the top and from the bottom of the bucks is 6", occasionally 9", and in an apartment complex I've been inspecting recently - the maximum spacing is 12" from the bottom of the buck and 12" from the top of the buck.

That's the greatest spacing I've seen: 24" o.c. between anchors and 12" from the top and bottom of the bucks - with the bucks being minimum 2x6 SYP (pressure treated when on masonry).

Use a wood species which is not as strong and the spacing gets closer. Use smaller anchors and the spacing gets closer. The spacing from the ends is never greater than 1/2 of the on-center spacing (i.e., 24" o.c. and 12" from the ends of the bucks), with the distance from the end usually being 6".

I have attached a portion of the "worst" engineering for garage door buck anchoring I have found so far (maybe there worse engineering out there and I just haven't seen it yet).
Sectional OH Garage Door Buck Anchoring.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby inspectagator on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:35 am

Thank you so much Jerry, I really appreciate it. I looked around at manufacturer's manuals and couldn't find anything. You are appreciated!
inspectagator

Return to Windows & Doors: Safety glazing, leaks, single and multiple glazing