Building Code and Building Construction - Questions and Answers
Or when you want to know how construction is supposed to be done.

|
AskCodeMan.com
|

Custom Search

CBS & Wood frame

CBS & Wood frame

New postby Steve Gib on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:51 pm

was wondering if a home in florida, 2 story, as where the the 1st. floor is concrete block, the 2nd floor is 2x4 wood frame with sheeting, and both floors are finished on the exterior with stucco is considered a "TRUE" CBS constructed home ? does such require a different building permit compared to a standard or all cbs home ? and would home owners insurance have a different rate for this type off home compared to all concrete block ? any info would be greatly appreciated !
Steve Gib

Re: CBS & Wood frame

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi Steve,

Steve Gib wrote:was wondering if a home in florida, 2 story, as where the the 1st. floor is concrete block, the 2nd floor is 2x4 wood frame with sheeting, and both floors are finished on the exterior with stucco is considered a "TRUE" CBS constructed home ?

Depends on how you define "TRUE" concrete block home.

If you mean "Is SOME of the home a "TRUE" concrete block home?", the answer is "Yes, SOME of the structure is "TRUE" concrete block.

However, if you mean "Is ALL of the home a "TRUE" concrete block home?", the answer is "No, because not all of the exterior structural and wind resisting force walls are concrete block.

If you are asking because a builder advertised a house as being "concrete block" and then the second floor is not concrete block, the builder would could be considered to be putting out false advertising. Keep in mind, though, that the builder may have put an asterisk* next to the "concrete block" and ...

*first floor is concrete block, second floor is wood frame unless the full concrete block option is selected

... may have pulled something like that.

does such require a different building permit compared to a standard or all cbs home ?

The permit is the same, what would be submitted would be different, what would be approved would be different, and what was covered on the permit would be different - but the permit itself would be the same.

and would home owners insurance have a different rate for this type off home compared to all concrete block ?

Probably, yes.

And the wood frame structure is more susceptible to construction errors which could undermine the structural integrity of the wood frame structure.

Theoretically ... "theoretically" ... if a structure is designed, engineered, the drawings signed and sealed, AND ... the critical "AND" part ... AND the construction is done in strict accordance with the plans and drawings, the wood frame structure will survive a "design event" based on the design loads it was designed to withstand. It is just that wood frame structures require more connectors and the connectors require more fasteners, and each and every fastener and connector is more critical than in a concrete block structure.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

New postby Steve Gib on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:14 pm

Jerry

Thanks for your reply,

I understand what you mean as to the home being concrete block, "yes" and wood frame "yes", and no the builder never disclosed or offered the 2nd floor to be concrete block. They do advertise some of there homes in other parts of Florida correctly from this standpoint. i.e. "Concrete Block, Wood, Metal" construction. Ours was advertised "CONCRETE BLOCK CONSTRUCTION" with no notations.

As far as the permitting part, I was wondering what you mean when it comes to what was submitted, and etc. I do know for a fact that the blue prints show frame for the 2nd story, now where I live, if this was handled differently or was inspected in another and or proper way is another guess. Is there something I could look for @ the building dept. that may lead me to find out how the builder represented the home ?

Your statement is correct as far as I am concerned as false advertising as the home was represented to us as Concrete block.

thanks for your time and answers, by the way where are you located ?
Steve Gib

New postby Jerry Peck - Codeman on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 pm

Hi Steve,

By the permitting part I mean that all structures are submitted for their type of construction in the same manner, the architect/engineer designs the structure and submits the plans for review. When approved, all with the same process, the construction begins and the inspection is the same as regards to the inspection sequences, with differences in inspection protocols based on the type of construction being inspected with regard to the structure, however, the mechanical, electrical, plumbing inspections are all essentially the same based on what is present/not present.

The differences, then, between all concrete block, all frame, and concrete block/frame come down to the submitted design difference and as it was reviewed and approved. The inspections take place based on the approved drawings.

I am located in Ormond Beach but go all over Florida and the Southeast time and scheduling permitting.
Jerry Peck - CodeMan
AskCodeMan.com
Construction Litigation Consultant - Retired
Construction and Code Consultant - Semi Retired
Jerry Peck - Codeman
Site Admin

Return to Structure: Footings, foundation walls, floor framing, wall framing, ceiling framing, roof framing (rafters & engineered trusses)